This French Onion Green Bean Casserole is a stellar replacement for the popular green bean casserole with the cream of mushroom soup and the crispy French fried onions. I used to make that old classic frequently before having to adopt a gluten free lifestyle.
Beyond the original casserole not being gluten free it can also be a little run of the mill. This updated version borrows elements of French onion soup to create a casserole that might just upstage the old classic. With caramelized onions, gruyere cheese and a crispy bread crumb topping, this casserole has the flavor of French onion soup in a green bean casserole that’s outstanding. And this one might have a holiday feel but it’s simple enough for weeknight meals too. Once you try this casserole I don’t think you’ll miss the old classic.
French Onion Green Bean Casserole
Prep time: 35 min
Cook time: 45 min
- 4 cups of frozen green beans, thawed and drained
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 18 oz can Progresso creamy mushroom soup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz grated gruyere cheese, divided in half
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs,
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (or 175 °C) and have a 1 ½ quart ungreased casserole dish ready.
- To make the caramelized onions, in a large sauté pan over a medium heat, add the onions, olive oil and some salt and pepper. Turn the heat down to low and stir the onions to get them coated in the oil. Continue to let them cook over a low heat stirring them every 5 minutes or so for about 25 minutes or until they soften and develop a deep brown color. Divide the onions in half and set it aside.
- To prep the bread crumb topping stir together the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, half the gruyere cheese, parsley, melted butter and some salt and pepper to taste then set it aside.
- To assemble this casserole, in medium bowl stir together the can of soup, ½ the caramelized onions, the other half of the gruyere cheese and the Worcestershire sauce. Pour the mixture over the green beans and stir to combine then empty the mixture into the casserole dish.
- Scatter the remaining onions over the top of the casserole then top off the onion layer with the cheesy bread crumb mixture then bake it for 45 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly and then serve.